Tuesday 30 December 2014

Antonio Tarver Calls Out David Haye


The former 5 time world champion Antonio Tarver is coming off a 7th round stoppage win over notable heavyweight Jonathan Banks earlier this month, the Rocky Balboa movie star reflected on his performance high-lighting his punching power "Jonathon Banks is one of the fastest heavyweights that are out there right now, he throw his hands better than a whole lot of guys he was the one who de-railed Seth Mitchell when everyone was talking about him being the next big heavyweight sensation out of the U.S, he's only lost twice, he's a solid fighter and it just goes to show I'm telling you that anybody I fight in there I can hurt them with my left hand, I'm punching hard fight now, I still got the skills, I still got my reflexes".


The magic man wants to keep his momentum going into the new year "I wanna fight the biggest fights out there for me and that's David Haye, that's the kind of fight that can truly make the statement I wanna make, if he still wants to consider himself a top heavyweight than fight me!". Now fighting at Heavyweight Tarver is 2-0 in the division and at 46 he's not looking back hoping to get a fight made with David Haye in 2015 and if successful move on to Heavyweight ruler WBO, IBF and WBA Super Champion Wladimir Klitschko "I'm 46 I ain't got time to be wasting time trying to get these young guys no shot at me, I'm trying to give him (Haye) an opportunity of a lifetime to fight a real legend and make something of his name and give him a shot to redeem himself, I think that's an ideal eliminator for a big fight with Wladimir Klitschko. The bout with the Ukrainian is one that holds a lot of meaning to Tarver " I wanna fight guys from my era, if you look at the 1996 Olympic amateur superstars around the world, there's only 3 names really remaining right now from that class, its Mayweather, its Klitschko and its Tarver, there's three great fighters that still remain right now fighting at that level, I wanna know who's really the greatest fighter from that era Wladimir Klitschko USA meet Russia, I wanna shoot a real live Rocky Movie in front of the whole world, that's gonna be my gift to boxing, just like I told you before I knocked Roy Jones out, I can beat Wladimir Klitschko but I wanna knock David Haye out first so the fight can be everything that its supposed to be, then I can get out of boxing on top and let the world know that they can never doubt my greatness, and that's my goal for 2015". This is by no means a stunt as Tarver expresses his desire but understands the wait in line which is why a match up with Haye is his next mission instead of fights with other heavyweights like fellow American Shannon Briggs "I already got my tune up, now I just wanna fight the best, David Haye got the second biggest name in the game, he's a strong knockout power puncher that can fight. I ain't saying pick me Klitschko give me a title shot, I wanna earn it by beating top notch heavyweights, I ain't trying to fight nobody that don't have no name recognition to the point where you gotta create scenarios, Tarver v Haye you don't have to create nothing, the fight sells itself and that's the type of fights I want". The 5 time champ makes a valid point, although Briggs looks in immaculate shape and has kept active winning all 6 of his fights this year with one going the full 12 rounds the choice of opposition he's fought is questionable and if 'The Cannon' was to get his shot at Dr Steelhammer this will arguably be more down to the several video clips that have gone viral over the internet of Briggs confronting Klitschko during training, at a restaurant, at press conferences and weigh ins and my personal favourite out at sea. Tarver makes sense and despite critics claiming he's past his best, beating a game heavyweight like Jonathon Banks has made a statement that the Tampa Florida resident is more serious than ever in reaching the top of the mountain in the division "I'm not getting tired, I'm at my natural weight, I'm back in the lab after new years, they complain about my physique, I need to have the weight cause these guys can punch, in training camp I got down to 209Ibs, I don't wanna be that light fighting a guy that's 220-225lbs naturally because you cant absorb that much when your that light, you gotta be able to hit them big guys and make them respect you, that's what I'm  doing". In terms of any progress being made towards the Tarver-Haye fight, it has been a bit quiet so far on the hayemaker's front with Tarver claiming to have challenged Haye over 6 months ago on twitter to which no response was given. David Haye announced earlier this year that he would be making a return to boxing, there has been a rumoured split with long-time trainer Adam Booth as Haye appears to have settled himself in America where there has also been rumours of a partnership with Al Haymon.


The Bermondsey boxer last fought in 2012 where he beat Dereck Chisora via 5th round tko, since then proposed bouts with Manuel Charr and Tyson Fury (twice) fell through due to injuries to the former WBA Heavyweight champ but following successful shoulder surgery Haye is ready to make a splash back in the division. A fight between Tarver and Haye is one that will definitely sell all over the world, both are massive names in the sport of boxing, a former 5 time world champion against a former Heavyweight and undisputed Cruiserweight champion. Both are cross over stars with Antonio starring in Rocky Balboa as opponent Mason Dixon and David has always been a big drawer attracting a massive fan base since winning the heavyweight crown appearing on several celebrity interview shows and a reality TV show. There is more intrigue with Haye being such a massive puncher and Tarver never having been knocked out, we will have to wait and see if any developments get made towards this mouth watering fight but as fans we can get trending and hope that 2015 is the year of the heavyweights.

#TarverHaye
 

Antonio Tarver calls out David Haye Phone Interview for @HitnMove

No comments:

Post a Comment